Friday, November 6, 2020

 

Reflecting on my Experiences with YMSL


by Will Muth

November 1, 2020


When I first joined YMSL, I was a little skeptical about what we would be doing in general with the volunteer work, meetings, etc. as volunteering was something new for me. Now a couple years later with more experience, I can say that it’s been an outstanding experience. It’s a great opportunity for young men and their moms to work together for a better cause, and have fun with it at the same time.  One opportunity that I’ve had that I will always remember is helping out with my mom at Respite Care, a non-profit organization here in Fort Collins. This was one of the most special experiences I’ve had in YSML as we got to volunteer for special needs kids. I really enjoyed getting to know these kids and spending time with them. After volunteering at Respite Care for the first time, I realized it was something I’d like to do again.

The other half of my YMSL experience is attending the meetings throughout the year. We are able to gain information from speakers on various topics as well as socialize with the other young men. Although the speakers give us a lot of important information, I especially enjoyed the speaker who taught us about driving responsibly. This applied to me in that I was just about to get my driver’s license, so I made sure to use what I learned from that and apply it to the real world skills of driving. This is an example of why I think having these meetings every so often is important.


With that being said, I genuinely believe being a part of YMSL has helped me develop a better understanding of giving back to the community and selflessness. It is a win-win situation because I am able to help out those in need, have fun, and feel a sense of accomplishment.  Because it has impacted my life so much, I  think all young men should be involved in a great program like YMSL.

 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment