Thursday, September 17, 2020

 My YMSL Experience 

by Brayden Lake

September 11, 2020

 

When I first joined YMSL, there was a lot of concern over what we’d be doing for our volunteer hours. I was a bit scared that it would be manual labor every time, or working with massive crowds. At that time I wasn’t good at working in crowds. I liked personal work or working 1-on-1. This came to a head in February of my Freshman year with the Tim Tebow Foundation’s ‘Night to Shine’ event. The first time I volunteered, I did not know what to do with myself. I ended up sitting in a back-room working with some of the food prep workers and didn’t talk with the guests. While it worked for me, I felt guilty the whole time. I worried I wasn’t able to contribute as much as the rest of the volunteers. I felt like I was out of the loop.

 

During my Sophomore year, I went through a whole change in how I talked to people. I took classes and volunteered more and I slowly figured out how I could help those I was supporting. I figured out I actually enjoyed speaking in front of other people; even crowds! Therefore, I focused on finding roles at events that allowed me the opportunity to help support and interact with large groups. At the next ‘Night To Shine’ during my Junior year, I ended up in the food prep for the parents of the guests. We were situated upstairs, away from the crowds, with a large, but calm group to serve. In choosing this role, I was able to provide more 1-on-1 service for caregivers. This allowed them to take a break for the night and helped me find where I could do the most good.

 

If at first, you try one of these events and you feel uncomfortable and feel like you can’t find your place, try it again. Try some other way to engage with those you’re helping and attempt to see it from a different perspective. Strive to find your place. As for me, I really enjoyed helping behind the scenes; supporting others who volunteered, and taking care of the caregivers who give their all every day. There’s a multitude of different events and roles you are able to join in as part of YMSL, and even if you feel like you can’t help out effectively, there’s always something for you to do. You really get out of YMSL what you put into it. Good Luck!

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment